Austin is such a dog friendly city. You could visit a new place with your dog every day of the year and never run out of fun things to do. Here’s our top 10 favorite dog friendly things to do in our capitol city.
- Opal Divine’s – This dog-friendly restaurant is known for their drinks, but the food is good too, and most nights the patio is filled with dogs and dog lovers. Beer aficionados will be pleased at their wide array of brews, and they serve up a tasty app of pulled pork sliders. Dogs on the patio get ice water to keep cool too! Three locations in Austin.
- Zilker Botanical Gardens – This 30 acre park in the heart of Austin is filled with beautiful flowers, streams, waterfalls and koi-filled ponds. Friendly dogs are welcome on leash.
- Phil’s Ice House – this Austin-owned brother to the famous Amy’s Ice Creams has amazing burgers, a funky, friendly staff, and a dog-friendly patio. Save this spot for dogs who love kids, because their playscape attracts mom’s and their munchkins from all over Austin. Be sure to get dessert at Amy’s next door!
- Texas Rowing Center – Try Stand Up Paddle Boarding with your Dog! This week I saw a woman doing SUP kneeling with her little dog riding shotgun. Uber cool.
- Jo’s Coffee Shop – Head to South Congress (SoCo) for this uber-trendy, super dog-friendly pitstop with a mean cup of joe. The staff is nice, the seating is easy and there are dogs everywhere!
- DogBoy’s Private Dog Park – Of course we have to toot our own horn a little bit! There are lots of dog parks in Austin, but DogBoy’s has the only park where all the dogs are evaluated in advance for compatibility with other dogs. Run leash-free on acres of rolling prairie, and throw sticks in the pond for your dog to fetch. Contact DogBoy’s to get your dog evaluated, and join as a member or make a single reservation. It’s dog heaven!
- Austin Carriage Service – Yep, I said it. Believe it or not, you can actually tour Austin on a horse-drawn carriage with your dog! How fun would that be? Contact Austin Carriage for details.
- Zilker Park Boat Rentals – This locally owned business is a great place to rent a canoe and enjoy LadyBird Lake with your pup. They are open 9 am till dark 7 days a week. You provide the doggie life jacket. What a great way to see our beautiful downtown.
- Half Price Books – For a quiet place to wind down, head into this used book wonderland for a great finds of books, music and knick knacks. Check with your local HPB for their policy on dogs, and be sure to bring a leash.
- Franklin BBQ – You may wait in line (get there REALLY early), but you and your dog will be in for some of the best BBQ in town. Your dog will surely be happy to catch any brisket that doesn’t make it’s way into your mouth. All I can say is YUM. The outdoor area is tiny, but dogs are welcome! Keep those bones to yourself, please.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this list of our favorite dog friendly gems. Be sure to submit your own below and if you take a photo of you and your pup we’d love to share it. Happy Tails!
To visit our Dog Park, fill out our New Customer Form. We’ll take care of the rest!
Photo by Norah Levine Photography