There are several easy ways to turn your dog into a doggy genius. By utilizing your dog’s natural intelligence, enhancing their diet and nutrition, and incorporating certain training and enrichment exercises you can make you dog a smarter and more creative thinker as well as proactively stall the mental effects of aging in your dog.
– Hi, I’m Jen and this is Clara, and we’re here today to talk to you about how to turn your dog into a doggy genius. So taking advantage of their natural intelligence, and building that even further to make them smarter and more creative thinkers, and then also how to keep your senior dogs remain healthy and well-functioning and active.
– We’ll make them a regular Dogbert Einstein.
– So one of the ways we can turn our dogs into a doggy genius is by influencing their brain activity through their diet, so using some dietary supplements like fish oils that actually improves cognitive function, and then it helps dogs learn a little bit better, and routine information better too. So healthy cognitive function is really important for our dogs, and something that we see with older dogs is that they usually start to suffer from a little bit of cognitive impairment as they age, so just as in people, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, things like that, dementia. Dogs suffer from those things too, so we can see a change in their organizational abilities, their learning abilities, and so there are some things that we can do to help them through that.
– But the good news is that researchers are finding a link between nutritional intervention and behavioral enrichment to ward off cognitive decline, so this means using a combination of medications, supplements, and just continuing to give your dog mental challenges, so using enrichment activities, going on sniff walks and keeping them really engaged in their environment as well as continuing to train new behaviors.
– So make the most of your dog’s intelligence. Don’t let it go to waste. Do new behaviors, enrichment, fun stuff every day so you’re keeping their brain healthy and active.