5 foods you NEVER feed your dog (and a HELPFUL diet guide)


As responsible dog owners, it is crucial to pay attention to what we can and can’t give our dogs. Some of this information you might already know, and some of it may serve as a necessary reminder. The foods listed in this article can cause anything from just a little vomiting or diarrhea, to liver or kidney failure!

Here’s the five foods that you should never share with your dog, and a helpful diet guide so you can remember what you should be feeding your dog.

#1 Xylitol

Watch our for sugarless gum, it can kill your dog!Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in chewing gums and some peanut butter brands, and it’s deadlier than chocolate. While Xylitol is great for human teeth, it causes vomiting, seizures, and liver failure in dogs.

Make sure you check the ingredient list of certain foods and dental products to see if Xylitol has been added. Some products that commonly include Xylitol are:

  • Toothpaste
  • Vitamins
  • Mouthwash
  • Chewing Gum
  • Peanut Butter
  • Breath Mints

It takes as little as one pack of sugarless gum to kill your dog. Make sure you hide anything with Xylitol as far away from your pooch as possible.

#2 Chocolate

Tasty treat for us, vet trip for your dog!We all know that dogs and chocolate don’t mix, even though they may want it to. Most owners know to keep the chocolate treats hidden away, but it is still the leading cause of poisoning in dogs.

The poison in chocolate is called theobromine. It is more prevalent in darker chocolates (keep the baking chocolate locked up). Dogs can’t metabolize theobromine before it becomes toxic. It can cause:

  • Seizures
  • Heart attacks
  • Internal bleeding

A single chocolate bar is more likely to give dogs diarrhea than a heart attack. However, if you notice tons of empty candy wrappers on the floor, and your dog is panting or restless, then get them to the vet IMMEDIATELY.

# 3 Onions.

Onions destroy your dog’s ability to carry oxygen in their blood. Less than a cup of onions can be toxic for smaller dogs, and whole onions can cause major problems for most dogs. So if you’re thinking of spicing up your dog’s dinner, do both of you a favor and spare the onions.

Don't feed your dog macadamia nuts, they'll go nuts!#4 Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts are known to cause neurological symptoms when ingested by dogs
. Other common symptoms include vomiting, restlessness, and upset stomach.

Unfortunately, we’re still unsure what exact compound in macadamia nuts is toxic to dogs. However, these nuts have a well documented history of toxicity with dogs. Play it safe and keep the trailmix to yourself. 

#5 Grapes/Raisins

It is not exactly clear what it is in grapes that is toxic to dogs, but we know what happens when they eat them. Raisins and grapes can cause:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Dehydration
  • Kidney failure

Eating any amount of raisins is a serious problem as even small quantities can cause a fatal reaction. If you catch your dog nose-deep in some raisinets, DO NOT wait–take them to the vet right then and there.

Navigating the world of dog food can be a difficult job, but you’re not alone! If you’re worried about what to feed your dog, sign up for our helpful diet sheet! It details our recommended dog foods, some healthy ingredients, and other foods to avoid at all costs. Here’s a preview of what you’ll receive:


For more helpful information, click on the link below, and you can download the entire diet guide. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us today! Our priority at DogBoy’s is happy, healthy dogs and owners.

Image Permissions:

XylitolGum-07 by Kyle Lam

Chocolate! By LogitudeLatitude

Nuts by Jessica Merz

By |2017-08-15T16:04:39+00:00June 10th, 2016|dog care, dog diet, dog health|0 Comments

About the Author:

Leave A Comment